I thought hard before publishing ‘7 Rules for Life you need to know’ as I actually wrote it as a reminder to myself (I’m weird like that!) however, nothing ventured…
This is a little post about some long overdue rules I decided I needed to write down finally at 45 years old, especially regarding setting boundaries and establishing rules for how i wish to be treated – what is and isn’t acceptable if you like!
1. Kindness is not an optional extra. If you are unkind, you go. Simples.
Same as manners. I could have listed that separately, but if you think about it, good manners are a form of kindness and respect, aren’t they? You don’t have to say ‘thank you’ to the waiter, but your a much nicer person if you do.
2. Ditto abuse. Not to be tolerated. I insist upon being spoken to with politeness and respect, I don’t care if you disagree vehemently with every single thing I say, but there are ways to do it. And I may equally vehemently disagree with everything you say too, but you wouldn’t like it if I mocked you, or called you an asshole, would you?! So why do you think its ‘funny’ to show me that same level of disrespect. Uh no. Lets go with no.
3. You should pander to my every whim. No clearly thats a Joke – see above. But I do expect to be given a fair hearing, (i.e. let me have my moment to speak) and if you disagree, you do. We’ll live. It will be fine. People can disagree without anyone getting hurt. This isn’t the Mafia. Is it..?
4. I WILL RESPECT MYSELF – This is a biggie, and should have been number one. I can hardly expect you to treat me with respect if I don’t treat myself with it now, can I? This covers all kinds of things from eating healthy body and mind nurturing food, to keeping your home and car tidy and clean, (so you feel good, not for your Mother in law, who probably doesn’t care anyway!), to having food in the house so if you get ill your not having to scrape the mould off the cheese, and you don’t have to starve guests (apologies to all my guests, but you didn’t want the cheese now, did you?!), getting enough sleep so you feel WELL, as opposed to just dragging yourself around, (snoring should be grounds for divorce imo, and by law they should be outcast to sleep in a shed, preferably next door, or the next street, as needed…) Personal grooming, (you know, if Gerard Butler or Tony Robbins knocked on the front door right now, would you panic?! I sure would! But I’d like to have the chance to find out! ;D (And if you don’t know who Tony Robbins is, SHAME ON YOU! 😀
5. Don’t lie about your age. Its undignified. Fine. I’m 46. There, I said it. Now excuse me please, I need to go lie down and have a tantrum! Anyway, you earn’t those grey hairs and ‘character’ lines!
6. Don’t settle for less than you are worth. In money, (from a Job), reward (acknowledgements for your efforts, whether at home or at a Job) and in People. And MOST OF ALL, do NOT settle for getting less than you are WORTH!
That’s just self abuse, and that’s just rude. And wrong. And plain dumb. Yes I am listening to myself, you can stop nagging me now conscience… (also known as the litlle Angel that sits on my shoulder <3).
7. Have Integrity. Not Charm. Too many people have charm. Too many people are hard. The world has enough hard people. Its more than not telling lies, it is just plain good old fashioned “doing the right thing”. Being straight with yourself and other people. Being Proud of yourself.
If you do all of the above, I don’t see how you could fail to have great self esteem actually.
Lets all try it, lets all see what happens… maybe we will make the world a better place? Or maybe we will just make our world a better place, which is a good start, isn’t it? 🙂